1. Ender’s bathroom is still not fixed. The sink is lying in an ugly heap in the middle of the floor and Ender is having nightmares about monsters hiding in the crumbling brick walls.
2. Addie’s room is painted. It looks beautiful and jungly (is that a word?). It has 2 brown walls and 1 green wall, and many large potted palms scattered around. It scared her the first night, as it makes the whole room A LOT darker, but she is getting used to it and seems quite happy with her choice.
3. The landlord seemed less than pleased with Addie’s color choice for her room, noting that he usually doesn’t paint the walls that dark because other people might not like them. I pointed out that we were going nowhere any time soon, and that we’d be glad to paint them back to their ugly, water-stained, nicked and scraped, poorly-masked state when we do leave.
4. Addie wouldn’t go to bed tonight…she was too busy reading a book all about Charles Darwin. I, of course, wasn’t about to tell her to stop. She may be tired tomorrow, but at least she’ll be well-read and knowledgable. I’m so very proud of her!
5. The donuts at Mountain Bakery tend to be a little too doughy for my taste, but it really doesn’t matter when you are desperate for an American-style sugar fix! You don’t get many choices as far as flavors or types go, but at least they are round and have a hole in the middle! I’m so glad that a teacher at the school informed me of the bakery’s existance!
6. Ender, though absolutely brilliant and remarkably sweet at times, really needs an attitude adjustment. He screamed himself to sleep tonight due to the fact that I read Addie 1 chapter more of a book than I read to him at bedtime. With the way he carries on, I keep expecting the Indian version of social services at my door any day.
7. I have a splitting headache due to Ender’s lack of self-control.
8. We have a neighborhood girl, several years older than Addie and Ender, who seems to have taken a liking to us and our house. So much so, that she makes herself at home by opening the door and letting herself in anytime without even knocking. Scott says that it is a cultural thing. I don’t know, but I still am trying to figure out how to make her go home. She doesn’t seem to take hints.
9. Summer is well on its way. It is getting hotter and hotter here with each passing day, and starting to get uncomfortable outside at midday. I know this is only the beginning, and I am not looking forward to what is to come. Fortunately, our community has that pool. However……
10. The pool is empty once again….